Professor in the Practice
Dr. Marc Chernick is Professor in the Practice of Political Science in the School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University. He also serves as Director of the Georgetown-Los Andes Program on Conflict Resolution and Human Rights at the University of Los Andes in Bogotá, Colombia.
He previously served as Director of the Georgetown Center for Latin American Studies. Prior to his time at Georgetown, he taught and served as Acting Director of the Latin American Studies program at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, and earlier as the Assistant Director of the Institute of Latin American and Iberian Studies at Columbia University, and worked for several years as a professor at the University of Los Andes and the National University of Colombia, both in Bogota, and as a Visiting Professor/ Researcher at FLACSO-Ecuador in Quito and the Institute of Peruvian Studies in Lima.
He has written widely on issues of violence, guerrilla insurgencies and peacemaking in Colombia and in Latin America, and has recently published Acuerdo posible: Solucion negociada al conflicto armado colombiano (Bogota, revised 3rd edition 2012), as well as two book chapters in English on the FARC: “The FARC at the Negotiating Table” and “The FARC: From Liberal Guerrillas to Marxist Guerrillas to Post-Cold War Insurgents.”
He has served as a consultant for the World Bank, UNDP, USAID, the governments of Norway, Sweden and Switzerland, and for other international organizations and NGOs on issues of human rights, democracy, early warning and conflict resolution in Colombia, as well as in Peru, Bolivia, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Central America, Zambia, Sudan, and Nigeria. He has a Ph.D. in Political Science from Columbia University.
- Ph.D. (1991) Columbia University, Political Science
- Marc Chernick. Acuerdo Posible: Solución negociada al conflicto armado colombiano. Bogota: Ediciones Aurora, 2008.
Articles in books
- Marc Chernick. “The FARC at the Negotiating Table.” Colombia: Building Peace in a Time of War . Ed. Virginia Bouvier. Washington, DC: United States Institute of Peace, 2008.
- Marc Chernick. “The FARC-EP: From Liberal Guerrillas to Marxist Rebels to Post-Cold War Insurgents.” Terror, Insurgencies, and the State: Ending Protracted Conflicts. Ed. Marianne Heiberg, Brendan O’Leary, and John Tirman. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2007: 51-82
- Marc Chernick. “The Defeat of Sendero Luminoso in Peru.” Terror, Insurgency, and the State: Ending Protracted Conflicts. Ed. Marianne Heiberg, Brendan O’Leary, and John Tirman. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2007: 289-322